Serving the communities of Camanche | Glencoe | Ione | Kirkwood | Pine Acres | Pine Grove  Pioneer | Railroad Flat | Volcano | West Point

Notice to Our Customers: the business office in Pine Grove is open to walk-in customers. Vaccinated individuals no longer need face coverings. It is recommended that those who are not vaccinated continue to wear face coverings. Please continue social distancing until further notice. We appreciate your patience during this past year!


Services FAQ

This tutorial is designed to assist you with questions you may have about ordering phone service, stopping telemarketing calls, protecting yourself against slamming, special services designed for the deaf or disabled and more. If you are seeking answers to questions you don't see listed, please don't hesitate to call us at (209) 296-7502.


How do I order phone service?


To sign up for phone service please

visit our office in Pine Grove.

Volcano Telephone
20000 Hwy 88
Pine Grove CA

If you're not in the area , you can give us a call and we can send you sign up forms via email, fax or standard mail.

Call us at

Are there special services for the deaf and disabled?


The California Telephone Access Program (CTAP) can provide special equipment and services to deaf and disabled persons at no charge. Customers must complete a certification form and have it signed by a licensed physician or audiologist.

Products for Deaf and Hearing Impaired People

Several devices can help you hear your telephone ring.

  • A Tone Ringer can adjust the tone of the ring to a range you are most likely to hear.
  • A Loud Bell Ringer can increase the sound of the ringer on your phone.
  • An amplifier can increase incoming sounds by up to 45%.
  • An Amplifier Adjunct connects between the telephone base and the handset.
  • A Portable Amplifier can be attached to most handsets.
  • An Amplified Handset has the amplifier in the handset.
  • A TDD (Telecommunications Device for the Deaf) can help people who are deaf or severely hearing impaired communicate over the telephone. By dialing the phone and typing in messages you can communicate with another TDD user or a hearing person using the California Relay Service.


If you have a TDD (800) 735-2929
If you DO NOT have a TDD (800) 735-2922


Products for People with Speech Impairments

  • A Weak Speech Amplifier increases the volume of your voice.
  • An Electronic Artificial Larynx is a hand held portable speaking aid.


The TDD can be used by dialing the phone and typing in messages.


Products for People with Motion Impairments

  • A Speakerphone can be used by people who can not hold the handset. It can be used in conjunction with speed dialing for making a call using only one or two buttons.
  • A Hands Free Phone is available to people with severely limited motion.
  • Large Number Overlays double the size of the buttons making them easier to see and press.
  • For those who have special needs, a trained Field Representative may visit your home to better assess your needs.
  • Under existing law, the equipment, services and administrative costs of this program are paid for by a surcharge shown on all customers telephone bills. For more information, or to request a certification form, please call:

    (800) 806-1191 (Voice)
    (800) 806-4474 (TTY)
    (800) 949-5650 (Spanish Voice)
    (800) 896-7670 (Spanish TTY)
    (800) 889-3974 (Fax)

How do I stop telemarketing calls?

FCC National Do-Not-Call Registry

Pursuant to its broad authority under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the FCC and the FTC established a national Do-Not-Call Registry. The registry is nationwide in scope, applies to all telemarketers (with the exception of certain non-profit organizations), and covers both interstate and intrastate telemarketing calls. Commercial telemarketers are not allowed to call you if your number is on the registry. As a result, consumers can, if they choose, reduce the number of unwanted phone calls to their homes.
You can register your phone number for free, and it will remain on the National Do-Not-Call list for five years. You may re-enter your number onto the list when the five years have passed, and you may remove your name from the list at any time.
The Do-Not-Call registry will not prevent all unwanted calls. It will not cover the following: calls from organizations with which you have established a business relationship; calls for which you have given prior written consent; calls which are not commercial or do not include unsolicited advertisements; calls by or on behalf of tax-exempt non-profit organizations.

How to Register

To register, consumers may call 888-382-1222: for TTY call 1-866-290-4236. You must call from the phone number you wish to register. Subscribers may register their residential telephone number, including wireless numbers, on the national Do-Not-Call registry by telephone or by Internet ( at no cost.


How to File a Complaint


You can file a complaint by email ( This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ), telephone 888-225-5322 voice or 888-835-5322 TTY. If mailing a complaint, send it to:
Federal Communications Commission
Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau
445 12th Street, SW
Washington DD 20554
888-225-5322 VOICE
888-835-5322 TTY

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


National Fraud Information Center (NFIC)

This is a private, non-profit organization that operates a consumer hotline to provide services and assistance in filing telemarketing complaints. NFIC also forwards appropriate complaints to the Federal Trade Commission for entry into its telemarketing fraud database.
You can contact them at:
(800) 876-7060
Monday through Friday
9a.m. to 5:30p.m. EST
Web Address:


Direct Marketing Association (DMA) /Telephone Preference Service

Your name can be added to DMAs list by sending your name, telephone number including area code, and address including zip code. Please remember that with the DMA registration, the number of unsolicited calls should be reduced but may not stop all unwanted calls. You can write to them at:
Telephone Preference Service
Direct Marketing Association
P. O. Box 9014

Farmingdale, NY 11735-9014

How do I contact long distance carriers?

Contact Information for Long Distance Carriers

CIC Company Business Residential Intra Inter
00288 ATT 800-288-2020 800-288-2020 X X
00732 ATT 800-288-0400 800-288-2717 X X
00071 CenturyLink 800-860-1020 800-860-2255 X X
00222 MCI 800-444-3333 800-444-4444 X X
05483 Verizon Long Distance WTL 800-483-4000 800-483-4000 X X
05853 Volcano Long Distance 888-386-5226 888-386-5226 X X

What is slamming?

Slamming is the illegal practice of a telecommunications company changing your service without consent. In order to prevent slamming, Volcano Telephone Company can establish a Preferred Inter Exchange Carrier (PIC) freeze on your account. While the PIC freeze remains on your account, you cannot be switched to another carrier without your permission or be slammed by an unauthorized carrier. A PIC freeze prevents a change in your preferred selection unless you give us your express consent to remove the freeze. You must provide written or verbal authorization for this.


The PIC restriction may be lifted by either written or verbal authorization.

No change of carrier can be made on your account until you lift the PIC freeze. The PIC freeze removal forms are available at anytime upon request by calling our office at 296-7502, or you can set up a three-way conference call with you and your carrier of choice in order to lift the PIC freeze. If the change is done by conference call, you will need to provide us with your personal verification data such as your drivers license or social security number to remove the PIC freeze. The steps required to remove the PIC freeze are in addition to the regular security and verification procedures necessary to change your preferred carrier.

There is no charge for the PIC freeze service. If you would like us to place a PIC freeze on your account, please contact our office at 296-7502 or toll free at (888)886-5226.

What does Volcano do with my personal information?

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requires us to give your billing name and address (BNA) to interstate service providers. Interstate service providers are usually long distance companies, but they also include pay phone owners, long distance resellers, and 900 number providers. The FCC restricts the use of your name and address to the limited purpose of:

  • Billing & Collection
  • Order Entry
  • Customer Service
  • Fraud Protection
  • Transient Customer Identification

This means that interstate service providers may bill you directly when you use your calling card or accept collect or third-party charges.


Request to Withhold billing name and address


If you have a non-published number, you may request that your billing name and address information be withheld from these interstate service providers, as mandated by the FCC. Withholding billing name and address information will restrict your ability to place third number and calling card calls or to receive collect calls. Please contact our business office at 296-7502 or (888)886-5226 if you have any questions.


Volcano Communications Privacy Statement


The Volcano Communications Group of Companies respects your privacy. We take every step possible to ensure that your personal information, including call records, is only revealed to those persons or entities that you wish it to be revealed to.

However, we will cooperate as legally necessary with State and Federal Governments and Agencies. We are obligated to comply with valid State or Federal warrants or subpoenas. Although we were not involved in the provision of call records recently covered in the media, if presented with a request properly authorized by a State or Federal judge, we would be compelled to comply.

Additionally, through the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA), Volcano Communications Group, again, only under proper court order, will provide assistance to local law enforcement.

We will do everything we can to protect your privacy, unless legally required to do otherwise.

What is the local calling area for my prefix?

Your Local Calling Prefix These Prefixes in 209 Area Code are in your local calling area

Kirkwood (258)


Pine Grove, Volcano (296)

217, 223, 231, 256, 257, 267, 293, 286, 295, 296, 304, 418, 419, 560, 692, 714, 794, 806

Pioneer (295)

217, 223, 231, 256, 257, 293, 295, 296, 304, 418, 692

Glencoe, West Point, Rail Road Flat, Wilseyville (293)

217, 223, 231, 256, 257, 286, 293, 296, 296, 304, 418, 419, 692, 791, 806


What is a LATA?

The geographic areas in each state in which long distance calls are carried are known as LATAs (Local Access Transport Area).


Calls which originate and terminate in the same LATA are call IntraLATA calls.


Calls which originate in one LATA and terminate in another LATA in the same state are called InterLATA calls.


Calls which are placed from one LATA to a location in another state are called Interstate calls.


Calls which are placed from one LATA to a location in another country are called international calls.

Volcano Telephone customers are a part of the Stockton LATA.

end faq